If you assume that motorcycle accidents are among the deadliest of all Florida traffic crashes, the statistics show that you are not far off. According to the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (FLHSMV) Crash Dashboard, there are more than 8,000 traffic collisions involving motorcycles every year statewide, leading to around 900 fatalities. Around 50 people are killed in the 500+ motorcycle accidents that occur in Miami-Dade County annually, and hundreds more suffer serious injuries.
Most motorcycle crashes are the result of driver negligence, but you are in a better position to protect yourself as a rider when you know key data and causes of these incidents. You can rely on a Miami motorcycle accidents lawyer to assist with legal remedies if you were hurt, and some additional statistics may be informative.
Motorcycle Crash Data Reveals Shocking Trends
In addition to the hundreds of motorcycle accident fatalities that occur in Florida every year, around 7,700 people suffer injuries ranging from minor to incapacitating. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) also reports that:
- Nationwide, almost 5,200 individuals are killed in motorcycle accidents annually.
- Another 103,000 victims suffer injuries in motorcycle crashes, a number that has almost doubled over the last decade.
- Just over half of motorcycle riders in Florida wear a helmet.
- In 25% of fatal motorcycle accidents in Florida, the rider had a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of .08% or higher – the legal limit. Almost one-third of riders involved in deadly motorcycle crashes had trace amounts of alcohol or .01% BAC.
- Around half of all motorcycle accidents involve a collision with another vehicle and, in 78% of these crashes, the motorcycle was struck in the front.
Statistics Reveal Common Causes Behind Motorcycle Accidents
You can see two key factors regarding the underlying causes of these incidents; alcohol consumption is a serious concern, especially when attempting to balance, operate, and control a two-wheeled vehicle. While not a cause of accidents, the data on helmet use is also notable. The NHTSA estimates that around 2,000 lives could be saved every year if riders and passengers wear DOT-compliant helmets. Proper headgear is approximately 37% effective in preventing rider fatalities, and 41% effective for protecting motorcycle passengers from fatal injuries.
Additional causes of motorcycle accidents include:
- Failure to yield, which is a concern considering challenges motorcycle riders face with visibility;
- Erratic lane changes;
- Driver distractions, such as texting, talking on the phone, eating, or grooming;
- Running red lights or traffic signals; and,
- Many others.
Rely on Our Miami Motorcycle Accidents Attorneys for Legal Help
These statistics are cause for concern, but it is reassuring to know that Florida law protects your interests if you were hurt in a collision. To learn more about your rights and remedies after a motorcycle collision, please contact Gerson & Schwartz, PA at our offices in Miami, Fort Lauderdale, or West Palm Beach, FL. We can set up a no-cost case review to assess your situation and discuss strategy.