MIAMI, FL—Two of three motorists involved in the horrific Dec. 26 northwest Miami-Dade crash that claimed the life of a pedestrian subsequently fled the scene, CBS Miami reported. The hit-and-run victim, whom is both a father and a grandfather, was pronounced dead at the scene of the violent traffic accident.
According to Javier Baez of the Miami-Dade Police Dept., a 2008 Nissan Altima struck 48-year-old Ismael Cruz-Pratts as he was crossing N.W. 17th Avenue at the intersection of 114th Street in northwest Miami-Dade County.
Although that driver stopped at the scene and attempted to get out of his/her vehicle to help the injured pedestrian, two oncoming vehicles—described by witnesses as a red Honda and a dark-colored Cadillac— also went on to hit him. Those drivers, however, failed to remain at the scene of the injury accident, as required by Florida law..
• Under section 316.027 of the Florida Statutes, “The driver of any vehicle involved in an accident resulting in injury of any person must immediately stop the vehicle at the scene of the accident, or as close thereto as possible, and must remain at the scene of the accident until he has fulfilled the requirements of s. 316.062 [see below]. Any person who willfully violates this paragraph is guilty of a felony of the third degree.”
Florida Statute 316.062— Duty to give information and render aid.
Requires the following:
1. Name of driver.
2. Address of driver.
3. And the registration number of the vehicle he is driving.
4. And shall upon request and if available exhibit his license or permit to drive, to any person injured in such accident or to the driver of occupant of or person attending any vehicle or other property damaged in the accident.
5. All of the above information is required to be given to any police officer investigating the accident.
6. Driver shall render to any person injured in the accident reasonable assistance, including the carrying, or making arrangements for the carrying, of such person to a physician, surgeon, or hospital for medical or surgical treatment if it is apparent that treatment is necessary, or if such carrying is requested by the injured person.
Cruz-Pratts ultimately succumbed to his injuries at the scene of the Miami crash. “He’s the father of three girls, he’s got various grandkids… It’s a shame that somebody is going to hit and leave him there and he’s dead,” Cruz-Pratts’ friend Lilly Franqui told reporters. ”Please turn yourself in… Or if you have any information please contact the police department. I’m pretty sure those little girls and those grandkids would appreciate it,” she added.
Nearby residents also told reporters that the street where the fatal pedestrian accident occurred lacks adequate lighting. “It’s been three weeks, people been reporting the lights, the lights, the lights… It took death to, maybe tonight, we’ll have some lights,” resident George Natar told CBS Miami reporters.
Investigations into the pedestrian death are underway as Miami-Dade Police continue their search for the two negligent drivers who sped away from the scene of the unfortunate South Florida collision.
Every personal injury law firm has experience handling car accident and motor vehicle collisions. We do too. Our experience spans 37 years with significant results at both the trial and appellate levels. We have successfully represented injured drivers and passengers in virtually every imaginable car or auto accident scenario. From head on collisions, rear end collisions, drunk driving cases, motorcycle crash cases. Our firm also has extensive experience handling more complicated automobile and car accident cases, which may include product liability claims like defective design and other auto manufacturing defects.
The Miami car accident attorneys of Gerson & Schwartz, P.A. is at the forefront in its creative use of video, animated accident reconstruction and computer graphics. The firm’s use of advanced technology is just one of methods it uses to bring about just and successful outcomes for car, auto, and other motor vehicle accidents claims. If you or a loved one has been injured in a car, auto, or motorcycle accident contact a Miami personal injury lawyer for a free consultation. Call us at 305-371-6000 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
The South Florida injury law firm of Gerson & Schwartz, PA assists car and motor vehicle accident victims throughout the State of Florida including Miami-Dade County, Broward County, Palm Beach County, and Monroe County, Ft. Lauderdale, Plantation, Weston, Pembroke Pines, Coral Springs, Coral Gables, Miramar, Miami Beach, North Miami Beach, Aventura, Key West, Key Largo, Marathon, Plantation, Weston, Pembroke Pines, Coral Springs, West Palm Beach, Boca Raton and Jupiter. We also handle personal injury cases statewide, from Orange County and the Tampa Bay Area.