Five Questions to Ask Your Doctor After Being Injured in a Miami Car Accident

Getting hurt in a car accident is an overwhelming, stressful experience and, unfortunately, it happens quite often around South Florida. According to the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (FLHSMV) Crash Dashboard, there have already been 76,269 motor vehicle collisions so far in Broward, Miami-Dade, and Palm Beach Counties in 2020. More than 27,000 people were hurt in these auto accidents, most of whom required medical care for minor, serious, or catastrophic injuries. 

Getting treatment after an auto crash is definitely a priority for many reasons, but you support both your health and your legal rights when you ask your doctor the right questions about your care. A Miami car accidents lawyer can explain in more detail about the following questions and answers:

  1. What is the extent of my injuries? Your doctor is the expert on medical issues, but you should at least get an overview of the nature and severity of your injuries. If you broke a bone in your arm or leg, make sure you know exactly which one. For back injuries, ask about the vertebrae that sustained trauma.
  2. When will I recover from my injuries? On this question, you can expect a ballpark answer on how long it will take for you to get back to health. Physicians are dedicated to helping you get well, but they cannot see into the future. You should be able to get a range regarding recovery time, such as a few weeks, several months, or even longer. Note that you may be in treatment during some of your recovery, such as physical and rehabilitative therapies.
  3. Should I take time off work to recover? Based upon the answer to #2 and the specifics of your job, your doctor can tell you how long you may need to be away from work. Keep in mind that some injuries will require both physical and mental recovery. If necessary, get a note from your doctor regarding your diagnosis, prognosis, and how your limitations impact your job.
  4. What kinds of prescription and over-the-counter medications should I take? You will experience pain ranging from mild to severe, depending on the nature of your injuries. If you are in severe pain, your physician may give you a prescription to manage discomfort or suggest getting relief through over-the-counter medications.
  5. Will I need a referral to a specialist? Your primary care physician may refer you to a specialist to provide focused care for your injuries. This is why you need to be detailed in describing your injuries, so you can get the referral and get on your way to recovery asap.

Our Miami Car Accidents Attorney Will Take Over From Here

Once you get proper medical treatment and consult your physician about the above questions, your next move should be retaining experienced legal counsel to assist with your case. Our team at Gerson & Schwartz, PA is prepared to leverage all evidence to support your claim, so please contact us today. We can schedule a free case evaluation at our offices in Miami, Fort Lauderdale, or West Palm Beach, FL.

Contact Information