This Sunday, millions of Americans will watch the New England Patriots take on the Atlanta Falcons in Super Bowl LI in Houston, Texas. For many football fans, Super Bowl Sunday has become an unofficial holiday, full of friends, food, and, sometimes, the over consumption of beer, wine, or liquor.
Unfortunately, drunk driving accidents tend to spike around events that involve the consumption of alcohol, and Super Bowl Sunday is no exception. In fact, an article published in Forbes calls Super Bowl Sunday one of the “biggest drinking days of the year.” As a result, if you plan to be out and about this Sunday, you should take certain steps to protect yourself from involvement with a drunk driving accident, including the following: Our Miami Car Accident lawyers have some advice.
- Make Sure You are Alert and Aware – if you are looking to avoid an accident with a drunk driver, one of the easiest steps you can take is to abstain from alcohol yourself. Recent research has indicated that even blood alcohol content levels under the legal limit of .08 percent can have an impact on your reaction time and have a sedative effect.
- Steer Clear of Erratic Drivers – If you see a driver swerving in and out their lane, suddenly accelerating or decelerating, or otherwise driving erratically, make sure to put plenty of space between you and the other driver. If you have a suspicion that they are under the influence, call the police.
- LYFT and UBER- since the advent of UBER and LYFT safe alternatives now exist to allow for safe consumption of alcohol and to avoid senseless drunk driving. We advise using one of these services to ensure a safety on the roads for all.
What to Do if You are Involved in an Accident with a Drunk Driver
In the event that you are hurt in an accident with a drunk driver, there are certain steps you should take to maximize your chances of recovering compensation for your injuries, some of which are discussed below.
- Stay Calm – After an accident, it is essential that you keep your wits about you and do not say or do anything that may imply that you caused the accident.
- Alert the Police – Under Florida law, the fact that a driver was drunk at the time of an accident is often sufficient to establish legal liability. As a result, it is important to contact the police in order for them to make a determination regarding the other driver’s sobriety and perform sobriety testing, if necessary.
- See a Physician – Many people who sustain mild to moderate injuries in accidents consider forgoing a doctor’s visit because they believe their injuries will heal over time. Regardless of whether this is true, it is important to see a physician after an accident in order to generate an official medical record detailing your injuries and establishing that they were caused by your crash.
- Contact an Injury Attorney – Victims of drunk driving accidents should call a lawyer as soon as possible. An attorney will evaluate your case and ensure that you are adequately compensated for all of the losses you have sustained.
Contact Gerson & Schwartz P.A. Today to Speak with a Miami Car Accident Attorney
The Miami personal injury attorneys at Gerson and Schwartz, PA understand how important it is for car accident victims to obtain justice and compensation for their injuries. Our team of attorneys is committed to zealously protecting the rights of our clients and work tirelessly to obtain the largest settlement or award available by law. To schedule a free consultation with a Miami injury lawyer, call our office today at 877-475-2905 or contact us online.